We managed to catch up with Artistic Director Valerie Easton in the middle of busy technical rehearsals for Annie and ask her some questions. Here’s what we asked and how she answered:
I remember standing on the stage of the Queen Elizabeth Theatre and rehearsing with the Vancouver symphony when I was about 5. I believe that moment was responsible for my life in the business.
2. Is there a show that you haven’t directed which you would like to?
I would love to work on Into the Woods or A Little Night Music however Stephen Sondheim is not generally considered to be “box-office friendly”.
3. What is your favourite thing about directing? Your least favourite?
I like having the vision for the show and collaborating with other talented people. Tech is always a challenge.
4. What is special about working with RCMT (what keeps you coming back?)
It is always so gratifying to work with the up and coming talented actors that are graduates of the many theatre schools that we have in this province. We are privileged to see them begin their careers and proud that we can say we were a part of their transition to professional theatre.
5. If you weren’t a director / choreographer / performer what would you be?
I always wanted to be an archeologist.
6. When not working in theatre, you are…..?
I would like to travel but I haven’t found much time for that yet.